Monday, September 10, 2012

Day # 12, Holed up in Xanten.

Xanten town square.
             Diligently executing my jogger 'pre-walk walk around', I noticed that that I have been experiencing rapid rubber wear-down on the rear two tires. I can relate this right back to the rough stowage that the jogger received on the flight over from Canada. Probably was loaded under 50 heavy suitcases, or just plain dropped. Bottom line: the axle was bent somewhat and several wire spokes forced out of alignment, resulting in rotation distortion causing abrasive scuffing. I have done my best to ameliorate, but difficult to achieve without tools. Previous walk experience has taught me to confront problems of this nature as high priority -- crumbling tire casings on busy roads in remote rural areas (in the rain) are no fun!! Being a cycling region, bike repair shops are plentiful (three in this small town) and one local  dealer  has four tires on order for 10.00am tomorrow, two for now, two for later, just in case.
Xanten, a pleasant and historic (Roman)small town in which to be marooned for 24 hours pending new tires.

Type of overnight lodging: Marspoort Pension B & B.
Cost of lodging: 42.50E.

No comments:

Post a Comment