Monday, October 15, 2012

Day # 47 Malterdingen to Neuf Brisach, France.

Part of the fortifications of
 the walled city of Neuf  Brisach
          Although now more than 6 weeks into this trip, this was a day of several firsts, but first a brief recap of today’s walk. I left the rather unfriendly Rebold Gasthaus, capped off with being told, “You will sit here” for breakfast. Not the most productive way of addressing Wilkinson so early in the morning. Of course, I sat where I liked further upsetting the asst. manager, who last night had wanted me to sit out side in the rain for 90 minutes and wait for the official opening time of the hotel at 4.30 pm.
         Anyway, emerged at 8.15 am into a cold damp morning with leaden skies that threatened a wet day for my long walk today. The precipitation, in fact, held off until the very last hour of the walk when I was on the outskirts of Briesach Germany, just before the crossing of the Rhine once again to France, for the night. My hotel on the French side was selected on Booking.com and it added another 7 kms to a very full days walking, as the town of Neuf Brisach actually lies back from the river some distance. I had not appreciated this fully when deciding to stay here and resolve to be more careful examining the map for the precise location of any hotel. Anyway, it was a good way to get reacquainted with the Rhine that I had not seen since leaving Strasbourg, 4 days ago and a chance to see and photo the massive lock and dam system in place at Breisach, that not only controls the flow of water, but also lifts and lowers the large barges that ply the waterway from Holland up to Basel.
             A word on the ‘firsts’ for this trip that occurred today.
  1. I was required to ascend my first hill of any type, in the approx. 900 kms walked since Amsterdam. As I swung westwards towards the river I had to actually ascend a rising valley, before dropping down into Briesach and the crossing to the western French side.
  2. For the first day, today’s stage was mostly off the omnipresent segregated bicycle lanes that are built into German roads. In short, I was walking into the oncoming automobile lanes with the attendant dangers. No time to gaze around pondering the meaning of life. Heads up and watching every single approaching vehicle and be ready at a seconds notice to leap into the hedge or ditch. Shades of my England & Wales walk in 2010!
  3. Heavy head cold. Not pleasant, not serious.
  4. Painful right ankle. Not sure why this should be giving me trouble today after nearly 50 days on the road. Anyway, took a 400 mg Ibuprofen and it seemed to do the trick. Soak it in the hot shower tonight. 

31.6 kms. walked today per Google Maps.
Cumulative kms. walked: 899.7
Type of overnight lodging: Two Roses Hotel
 Cost of lodging: 52E.

No comments:

Post a Comment