Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day # 55 Bad Sackingen to Waldshut.

Laufenburg, looking
 across to Switzerland.
         Definitely a cold & damp feel to the morning air as I left my lodgings at 7.45 am into a (almost) dark world. Navigated my way through still empty streets to the pedestrian/cyclist route for points east along the #34 highway. Such was the temperature at about 7C, that I was barely able to remain warm. The up-side of this frigidity, was that I burned up the kilometres and the signposts indicated that I had covered 10 kms before 9.30am. Will have to watch out for those lurking speed cops!!
       For only the 2nd/3rd. time this walk, I had to share the main highway with really heavy traffic for a two hour spell before re-connecting with the pedestrian trails. Certainly received my share of horns and stares questioning what kind of man would wheel a baby & carriage onto such a busy road! Luckily no problems with the  traffic police on this section. In fact, since I have been in Germany, I don't think that I have seen a single police car on the highways.
         Feeling energetic in the low temperatures, I decided to push on to the next large town of Waldshut, by- passing my earlier tentative target landing point.
        As part of my route to day, I passed through Laufenburg. This small town, spread out on both the Swiss and German sides of the Rhine seemed to encapsulate all that I think of in terms of the style of idyllic German villages nestling at the foot of mighty mountains. Certainly a place to mark down for a revisit on a day when it is warm & sunny.
           Only two days walking left & I should reach the Rhine Falls in Schaffhausen, the highest waterfalls in Europe and the point where the Rhine cascades over rocks as it begins it's trip down to the sea.
           Reached 1000 walking kms. today, so should be just about spot-on with my original projection of 1100 kms. for the walk.

29.5 kms. walked today per Google Maps.
1002.2 Cumulative kms. walked.
 Type of overnight lodging: Hotel Schwannen
 Cost of lodging: 45 E.

No comments:

Post a Comment