Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day # 14 Duisburg to Dusseldorf

A typical Ruhr region street that I walked today.
              Awoke at 6.30am to leaden skies in Duisburg and after a good breakfast launched into the scruffy streets of this ‘down at the  heels’ steel town --4 of its steel mills have apparently closed for good and the hard grind life reflects in the faces of its people—any parallels with Hamilton, Ontario. Was told that the two plants remaining manufacture high tech steels used in automobiles with the balance bought from China and Korea. Large immigrant (Turkish) population probably does not appreciate sending its hard earned tax money to Greece & Spain.
          One of the joys of my 3 mph style of tourism is that I get lots of time to look around and to take measure of the style of a city---it took me a full two hours walking this morning to reach the city limits of Duisburg.
          The walk today was low stress enough to make my Google maps redundant. Although there were a number of complicated road systems that had to be followed over the 6hr./ 30 km hike duration, it was virtually intuitive and I merely followed my compass setting of due south. Yes, even in this era of GPS, I still like to reconfirm my general heading on the old fashioned magnetic compass.
        I used to visit Germany in the early 60’s as a teenager and again in the 90’s as an export manager participating in the Cologne/Koln trade shows. Always noted that this was a ‘big car’ country, with vehicles, more luxurious, more powerful that in other European countries. I notice that things have changed here with the compact now the vehicle format of choice. Seems to be more BMWs & Mercedes on the streets of Toronto than in the home market.
         Approaching Dusseldorf from the north, I sensed a city prosperous & on the move. Pleasant streets, many parks, hotels and shops that are enticingly presented. My walking route today took me through the Alte Stadt (old town) area just off the main city centre, full of bars, coffee shops and restaurants. Apparently, it bills itself as the longest bar in the world!
          Dusseldorf youth hostel is located on the west bank of the river and adjacent to the  kilometre long suspension bridge spanning the busy Rhine River. The hostel, built in 2006 is used heavily by student travellers in the summer, and for the rest of the year, mainly functions as a conference and cultural centre. Great restaurant offering a choice of meals.
       Tomorrow’s walk is a comfortable 20 kms route to reach Dormagen, last stop before Koln.

32.6 Kms. walked today per Google maps.
Cumulative kms. walked: 242.6
Type of overnight lodging: Youth hostel.
Cost of lodging: 36.50E.

No comments:

Post a Comment