Monday, October 8, 2012

Day # 40. Walk to Buhl.

Leaves are falling in Buhl.
          Awoke in Rastatt to the first real cool morning so far on the walk. The mild, wet air of yesterday, has given way to Fall air--almost a frost early today. As planned, I took my early light train back to Baden Baden and prepared for the walk section to Buhl. Basically, I followed the foot paths between the corn fields that occupy the narrow strip between the rail line and the fast and furious main R3 road. To my left are the hills, referred to locally as the Swabian Alps, and to my right as I walk south, by the Rhine. That reminds me, I have not even glimpsed the river for four days, since I crossed on leaving Germersheim.
       I arrived in Buhl at noon with a healthy appetite and ready for a hearty lunch. Generally, in addition to the adequate breakfasts that are includes at German hotels & hostels, I aim for one other full meal each day supplemented by nutritious snacks, consumed on the roadside not infrequently in a bus shelter.Not putting on any weight, but not shedding too many pounds either.
       Buhl, a pleasant and apparently affluent small town, with a number of heavy industrial sites at the edges. Seemed that at least a third of the shops were closed for Monday holiday--to offset being open on a Saturday? German retail operating hours certainly seem to be at the convenience of owners & staff, as opposed to clientele.
         Comment: I have noticed a marked absence of electric mobility vehicles carrying disabled persons in this country, compared to North America. Also markedly lacking in Germany are access ramps and elevators to assist the disabled. I have noticed this as a pram pusher myself, that has to frequently man-handle a heavy load up stairs, one step at a time, not easy. Have to say that frequent offers of assistance are often made, especially by the young people.

15 kms. walked today perGoogle Maps.
750 Cumulative kms. walked.
Type of overnight lodging: Da Franco Hotel.
Cost of lodging: 59E.

No comments:

Post a Comment