Friday, October 26, 2012

Day # 57 Eglisau to Schaffhausen.

Mission achieved--Schaffhausen.

            Grey and damp again in northern Switzerland. Left my bed & breakfast (with no breakfast offered ) at 9.00am for the 15 km stroll up river to my final walk destination of Schaffhausen. Never quite sure when I start in the morning in these (Swiss) parts exactly how easy they will be to execute. On and off main roads and on & off bike & pedestrian tracks---a real mixture. Today was in fact, notably straight-forward on well formed cycle paths and I made Schaffhausen by 12 noon, where I made a bee-line for my youth hostel accommodation to ensure a bed for the night. That hurdle overcome, I decided, rather than to hang about, plus being inspired by a parting of the cloud cover, to walk back down the hill sans my buggy to take a stroll around the town.  Luckily, I procured a map that included a walking route of the town with explanations of the key features….so much more satisfying than merely stumbling blindly along. I am well aware that on this walking tour from Amsterdam, I have regrettably not spent sufficient time to learn the “story” of the places through which I have passed, such has been the pressure to maintain pace and mileage.
           An ‘army’ style meal at this hostel this evening, some laundry chores and off to an early night. Strange how at the end of a project one feels more fatigue----something to do with the adrenaline ceasing to pump. Anxiously awaiting next week and meeting my sweet wife Jian in Milan for a very long anticipated second honeymoon.

15 kms. walked today per Google Maps.
1035 Cumulative kms. walked.
Type of overnight lodging: Youth hostel.
Cost of lodging: 35 E.

No comments:

Post a Comment